August wasn’t the best of months, so I’m sort of glad is over and I can think of September as a clean slate. I couldn’t really concentrate on anything I was doing, so I didn’t read much. I had to take a blogging hiatus on the last week because I wasn’t able to write anything. But I think I’m back on track now, at least I hope so. Let’s see how August actually went down.
BOOKS READ THIS MONTH
I just read three books this month, but I gave them all four stars, so at least it was a good reading month in that way! These are all very different.
- Fire was about friendships, magic, and personal growth. A great improvement from the first book of the trilogy.
- Unicorn Tracks was about falling in love with someone and trusting them. Also, rescuing unicorns from an evil plot!
- The Other Einstein deals with Mileva Marić, Einstein’s first wife and an accomplished scientist of her own, dealing with what is deemed to be a woman’s dichotomy – the choice between work and a family life.
This book is amazing so far. Joe is a stalker and his narrative in the second person, that is, constantly talking to the woman he is stalking. It’s creepy, funny, repulsive, smart. I applaud Caroline Kepnes for writing such a complex character.
REVIEWS OF THIS MONTH
- Night Film by Marisha Pessl
- Alien Love Story by A.K. Dawson
- Fire by Sara B. Elfgren & Mats Strandberg
- Unicorn Tracks by Julia Ember
- Too harsh rating books? | Where I discuss emotional and critical ratings, why I tend to be harsh, and how low is my Goodreads average rating.
- Blogging stress and tips to avoid it | Stress can ruin our hobbies, so I talk my experience with it and some ways to get away from it.
Top Ten Tuesdays
Book Traveling Thursdays
Diversity Spotlight Thursdays
A new amazing feature by Aimal @Bookshelves and Paperbacks where we share three books each week: one that we’ve read, one that we want to read, and an upcoming release.
- Spotlight #1 | A novella featuring a Himba woman as the main character, a book with a ghost marriage set in Malaysia, and a new book from Benjamin Alire Sáenz – author of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.
- Spotlight #2 | An interracial lesbial couple with unicorns, a book with a prince from Baghdad with a genie who switches bodies with a princess, and a book with the cutest cover and title about a girl having to hide in the closet after having already being out and proud.
- This or That Tag | A tag about seemingly easy choices in our reading habits. It’s definitely harder to choose than I thought.
- 2016 Comment Challenge – August | I participated in this fantastic challenge and got the chance to meet Jean’s blog Howling Frog Books. She reads things so different from your average blogger, so I got to know incredible new books. Be sure to give her a blog a visit!
- Genre Exploration: Afraid of non-fiction? | This is a great genre that people tend to avoid, so I discuss a little why that happens, what subgenres I love, and then recommend some of my favorite non-fiction books to you.